Creating Your LinkedIn Company Page – Made Simple (2023)
Why Every Business Needs a LinkedIn Company Page
Every business, regardless of size, should create a LinkedIn Company Page. Yes, this includes solopreneurs. The Company Page adds credibility to the entity and is a place to start building your business brand.
At the most basic level, the LinkedIn Company Page will be found typically on page one of Google search results for the business name as you get to piggyback off the reputation of LinkedIn as a trusted social media platform.
The LinkedIn Company Page also serves as a place to bring employees together.
Creating a LinkedIn Company Page can be simple by following these steps and handy tips. Best of all, it is FREE.
The process can be done quickly and is always something we recommend you refine over time. From start to finish, the initial set-up will take only around 15 minutes.
Of course, this excludes the time upfront to decide on your business brand strategy and goals for the LinkedIn Company Page. You should have these sorted first. This will then guide the audience you are looking to attract – new talent? New clients? New suppliers?
Let’s take a step-by-step look at how to set up the Company Page on LinkedIn. The good news is the prompts on LinkedIn will guide you through the process and are very simple and easy to follow. There is also a section in LinkedIn Help dedicated to Pages setup. LinkedIn Pages Help
Below are our thoughts on the best practice for completing the LinkedIn Company Page setup.
1. Create the LinkedIn Company Page
Nominate a trusted person within the business to create the Company Page. This will always be tied to the person’s personal LinkedIn account. Strongly encourage after completing the process that you set up a backup Page Admin that will also have access should anything happen.
- On a desktop computer, log into your personal LinkedIn account. The page setup can not be done on a mobile device.
- Click on the “Work” waffle in the top right-hand corner.
- From the drop-down, select “Create a Company Page +”.
2. Select which type of business is appropriate for you
- Click on the icon that best describes your organisation.
- Showcase Pages can only be added after the Company Page has been set up.
- Educational institutions are slightly different as they can showcase their alumni. This guide is focused on Company set up only.
3. Complete your Page Identity
- Complete your business name. LinkedIn will automatically create your LinkedIn public URL.
- Include the link to your company website.
HINT: If your business name is ambiguous, consider adding what you do to the end of the company name. eg GOOD TRADING CO – B2B LinkedIn Strategy & Training
4. Company Details
- Selecting an industry from the drop down can be tricky as it auto-fills once you start typing. For an easy selection guide use “LinkedIn Industry Code Selector”
- Company size is selected from the drop down list.
- Company type is also selected from the drop down list.
5. Profile Details - Logo, Tagline
- Choose file and upload your logo. Noting recommended size of 300 x 300px.
- Tagline – powerful 120 characters. It can do wonders for your business to attract the right potential audience. Invest time here to communicate your brand promise in a clear, concise, and memorable way.
- Check the verification box and then click create page.
6. LinkedIn Company Page Cover Image - Free Advertising Space
This is your opportunity for your business to stand out and create a great first impression. It is prime real estate and is worth a lot of attention. Leaving it blank and greyed out creates a negative impression, such as the business is no longer open or that they aren’t very professional.
Think of it as the place you have a LinkedIn billboard to represent your business. What do you want people to take away at a glance?
Use colours, words, use imagery that all work together to represent your business brand. We recommend using Canva templates. This will always be a worthwhile investment to get professionally done.
- Click on the pencil in the top right hand corner to edit.
- 1128 x 191 pixels is the recommended size.
- Consider adding in contact details eg website to make it easy for prospective clients to contact you.
HINT: Make sure the cover image created factors in the logo positioning.
7. Build your LinkedIn Company Page
- Each block will disappear as you complete the various action cards.
- Click on “Add” to complete each section.
- Important to complete each section.
HINT: As you add in detail each of the boxes will disappear.
8. Custom Button To Display
- First select one of the following custom button names from the drop down box – Contact Us, Learn More, Register, Sign Up, Visit Website.
- URL – make this targeted. You don’t want the potential client directed to the wrong place on your website. eg Contact Us – direct link to the contact us page and not just your home page.
9. Provide Details to Display - Company Page Overview
- Description – this is your opportunity to share in more detail what services or products you offer. Up to 2000 characters so use as many as possible.
- You have 2000 characters available. Use them wisely. Put simply it should include – what do you do, who do you do it for, what makes your business different from your competition, what results can I expect?
- The layout should be easy to read. Spaces between paragraphs will help.
Don’t underestimate the value of completing the Specialties section and utilising the full quota of up to 20. These are used to decipher when your Page should appear in search results. There is strength in numbers so don’t skip over this section.
10. Workplace Module
The Workplace module is a relatively new feature to Company Page’s that was introduced post COVID-19. It allows businesses the option of switching this module on or off.
This module’s purpose is to identify the type of workplace the company operates easily. Is it hybrid? Work from home or in the office?
11. Company Locations
- Click on +Add a Location. If you have multiple locations, add these here also by repeating the process.
12. Lead Gen Forms
The LinkedIn Lead Gen form will display front and centre of the Company Page in Member view. It’s important that you make the most of the limited characters and really generate interest with the headline.
Check the preview display to see how it will appear to visitors and adjust where necessary.
For more details – LinkedIn Lead Gen Form – All You Need to know.
13. LinkedIn Company Page Hashtags
- Click on + Add a Hashtag and enter the three you have selected for your business.
- LinkedIn will from time to time invite you to comment on trending topics using these hashtags. This will build your business credibility and authority.
14. Company Page Languages
- Click + Add a language and add accordingly.
Congratulations, you have now created your LinkedIn Company Page.
Ask your employees to update their personal LinkedIn Profiles to reflect their employment as per the new LinkedIn Company page. This is done in the “Work Experience” section.
It is always worth reviewing the Page set up every quarter to ensure that your Page is up to date, highlighting essential products and services, and updating for any new features that may have launched.
If you are looking for a comprehensive guide to getting the most out of LinkedIn Pages, we recommend “Business Gold: Build Awareness, Authority and Advantage with LinkedIn Company Pages.” Michelle J Raymond & Lynnaire Johnston.
Now that your LinkedIn Company Page is set up, head over to learn “How to Use LinkedIn to Grow Your Business.”